Thursday 2 June 2011

Generation Gap

Every now and then a particular post creates a bit more interest than most and my recent piece on OASys entitled 'Rubbish in - Rubbish out' is just such an example. I was particularly struck by the following comment from a relatively newly-qualified officer:-
  
"I agree with your points about the formulaic and prescriptive nature of OASys and how this can hugely impact on the quality of reports. I too feel that the system could be much improved. I remember reading an article during my training, in which it was argued that OASys far too readily reduces the individual to little more than the sum of sections 1-13. This is an idea that has really stuck with me, and one I am mindful of when proofing my reports.

However, the general tone of this entry makes me rather uncomfortable. The implication is that anyone who does not re-write their reports entirely, once 'generated', is doing a bad job and can't possibly submit a decent piece of work. Are you saying then, that all officers who have qualified in the past decade or so (and whom will have learnt to write their reports in this way) are doing a poor job?

The suggestion makes me feel a little indignant. Yes, I think we would benefit from a partial return to SIR style assessment. Yes, I think that OASys allows for incoherent and illogical reports – if the author doesn’t take the time to thoroughly proof-read and revise them. What I don’t agree with is the insinuation that, in making use of OASys to structure my PSR, I will only ever achieve a shoddy end product. Clearly some staff will have a greater capacity for report writing, larger vocabularies and more distinctive style; a poor report cannot be blamed on OASys alone. As for failing any creative writing test – when did a degree in language and literature become a prerequisite for the job?

I put a lot of time and effort into ensuring that my reports are as good as they can be, given the obvious time constraints. It’s fairly disheartening to hear that more experienced colleagues have such little regard for the work of more recently qualified officers."

For me this really does sum up the problem. Newer officers have only ever known a probation world utterly dictated by proscribed practice through OASys and National Standards. Older colleagues have the benefit, or disbenefit depending on the view taken, of having known the sun-lit uplands of pretty much unfettered professional discretion and judgement. It should not be that surprising that the two worlds sit uneasily alongside each other and I have previously described how trying to adjust drove me to several periods of extended sick leave due to stress.

Remember too that at the same time us older colleagues had to adjust to a change in ethos of the Service, away from its social work roots, to that of a Law Enforcement Agency. Training and recruitment moved from degree and CQSW courses at academic institutions, to NVQ and degree in-house training and distance learning. So what I'm trying to say in this blog should be seen in this context. I have also been hugely indignant and disheartened, both for myself and newer colleagues. 

In my view the author of the above has every right to feel indignant, but hopefully with the situation rather than the commentator. It has never been my intention to cause offence, but there is a generational issue in relation to OASys. Indeed Jonathan Ledger the NAPO General Secretary recently highlighted this during his evidence to the Justice Affairs Committee. Basically he said that opinion was divided on OASys depending on when people joined the Service. But I think there is reason to believe that newer colleagues are becoming increasingly disillusioned with current practice and are asking searching questions of older colleagues as to how things used to be done.

This trend is likely to increase, especially with the recent abandonment of the incredibly proscribed National Standards. As with older colleagues who have had to adjust to structural change, newer colleagues are finding this development unsettling as they are encouraged to use a greater degree of discretion and judgement - a situation they feel justifiably unprepared for.  

So, where does this leave OASys, particularly in relation to it being a rational and effective method of 'writing' court reports? It's barmy of course and as the author of the piece above confirms, the finished result is down to how much editing, tweaking, revision and proofing of the 'generated' text is thought to be necessary. I have previously said that by the way OASys is structured, the end result is likely to be focused on problems and issues, rather than strengths and positives and therefore not really likely to give a 'balanced' picture. I don't think that the proscribed format allows for a three-dimensional view of the offender or a passionate and well-argued case for a particular course of action. This has to be added later.

But why should it be like this? You wouldn't write an essay like this, would you? This is an unbelievably time-consuming, bureaucratic and clunky method of achieving something that then needs a whole lot more work on. In all honesty, wouldn't it be a brilliant idea to start with a blank sheet of paper, four basic headings and just write the damned thing? You know, like an essay? 

13 comments:

  1. "As for failing any creative writing test – when did a degree in language and literature become a prerequisite for the job?"

    The above from your commenter.

    "wouldn't it be a brilliant idea to start with a blank sheet of paper, four basic headings and just write the damned thing? You know, like an essay?"

    The above from you.

    Your blog, informative and a "good read" derives those attributes in part from your writing ability. That ability informed your production of reports in the dim distant pre OASys past. YOU can write an essay. Your commenter for all his indignation just doesn`t appreciate that his job depends on communicative abilities both spoken and written. Perhaps a decent level of English, both in language and literature, WOULD be beneficial to him and his clients. But then this would be interpreted as fogey talk. We don`t need to be ancester worshippers a la Confuscious but the dumbing down of educational standards cf pre 1970 has certainly in my humble opinion reduced the potential of many young professionals including those in the probation service in their ability to convey abstract concepts eg the reasons for what are suggested suitable disposals in court.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justice of the Peace,

    I get the gist of your argument and indeed many universities have been shocked at the poor literacy and numeracy abilities of first year undergraduates.

    However in my experience the standard of newly qualified probation officers in terms of academic background and literary ability has remained pretty good. I'm sure management would say that being able to express complicated concepts and issues in written form remains a key requirement of the job - the trouble is that at the same time they've imposed a process that hinders the production of quality documents.

    I think the contribution from my commenter amply demonstrates that there is no lack of ability, so it's such a shame that she can't be allowed to spread her wings and fly.

    Being a long-serving Magistrate you will no doubt remember masterpieces from the past. Not every officer could do it and even the ones that could produced some run-of-the-mill stuff as well. I'm confident that the standard could return again if officers could be freed from the constraints of OASys in respect of report production at least.

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm confident that the standard could return again if officers could be freed from the constraints of OASys in respect of report production at least".

    I second that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not the report that turns a person's life around it's the sentence and a good professional probation presence in court even with oral reports can persude sentencers to appropriately sentence to that enabling order which as said before on your blog should have that one to one relationship at it's core. What we do best on orders is persude clients to do their best for there victims families and communities. Sat all day at a computer generating oasys crams and reports prevents us from doing the real job. Good riddance to the lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree up to a point, however you have to get the order in the first place. I'm thinking particularly of what might be termed
    'courageous' suggestions that have to be well-argued in order to give the court confidence to go along with the recommendation. In my view this requires a top quality report and preferably the presence of the author in person, especially if it's at Crown Court.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jimmy Gilligan3 June 2011 at 14:27

    I've been around long enough to remember the days when we didn't have a nationally recognised risk assessment tool a la OASys. The area where I started work had something along the lines of the 4 headings on a sheet of A4 that you describe. The problem was that it wasn't prescriptive enough in focussing officer's assessments into specific areas of risk of reoffenindg and particulary risk of harm. I remember being shocked to see a fervently christian colleague had written a risk assessment along the lines of 'this offender is unlikley to commit further sexual offences agaist children now that he has found the lord during his last prison sentence'! This sort of nonsense used to go unquestioned, in my experience. The problem with OASys is that its *too* prescriptive, therefore too time consuming. But at least it makes the assessor think about all the aspects that could influence risk.

    As for FDRs, I remember the 'glory days' when every report at Mags court had to be a full SDR (which were just callend PSRs in those days). What I found was that I was expending a lot of time and effort writing reports on low level offences and offenders who were obviously presented a low risk of reoffending/risk of harm, which really impacted on my ability to write decent PSRs for the Crown Court on more serious offences. So as with OASys, I'm somewhere in the middle with this argument too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimmy,

    Yes I agree there has always been some dodgy practice around and I'm embarrassed to say I've written SER's in the past on 'theft of peas' and theft of a pint of milk', but we've thrown the preverbial baby out with the bathwater surely? They were fairly quick to 'knock out' too and did help prevent some of the worst excesses of a draconian bench.

    One of my biggest concerns is this total pre-occupation with 'risk' to the exclusion of all else. It means we've got no way of picking up really important cases say involving learning disability or mental health. We've got the assessment skills, but if they're classed as 'low risk' - guess what - they end up in prison more often than not.

    Thanks for commenting,

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim

    I defended oasys on your previous post and I have more comments to make this time too!

    I have a lot of sympathy for the officer you quote in your piece. It is perfectly possible to write a fair, balanced report that argues for a rehabilitative sentence in oasys. I have yet to hear a killer argument from you that proves otherwise. You decry the tweaking and editing needed for an oasys report and yet in your own description of the old style you outlined a similar process. And as I pointed out last time, some the complaints you listed are entirely avoidable.

    I'm sorry but your opinions on oasys seem to be mostly based upon resistance to change and a hankering after the sun-lit uplands of 20 years ago, And as Mr Gilligan has noted the sun-lit uplands were not entirely rosy. I have read some collusive rubbish from 15 years ago, rubbish that allowed people to carry on harming themselves and others.

    There is clearly a balance between the old and the new. The current direction of travel is strangely backwards. Professional judgement and desistance is the way forward. Except this time it is based more on knowledge than vague ideas. The wheel turns....

    Where you start to make some sense is on the subject of risk and problems. Oasys may be too risk focused and may provide a negative, problem centered approach which is not compatible with new strengths-based methods of rehabilitation. But that could be quickly changed. Oasys is a tool that is evolving.

    carry on the good work

    ReplyDelete
  9. A challenge indeed - can I provide the 'killer argument?' I think so - but first am I resistant to change? I don't think so - as it says on my profile, change so often does not represent progress.

    It's true though that I hanker after the 'good old days' because they were. Yes of course there was crap practice and crap officers, but there was also brilliance and sheer magic from some of the most dedicated, caring and bright people I've ever met. They were in it as a vocation not just as a job. But that sort of discourse is best explored over a drink I suspect.

    The killer argument against OASys as being a rational method of producing a piece of written work I'm afraid entails turning the question around and asking simply 'why?' To write an essay, you start with a blank piece of paper. To write a post on a blog I start with a blank text box. I presume a journalist writing a newspaper article starts with a blank page. An author a book. A poet a poem. It goes on.

    Why the hell does a probation officer writing a report for court need to fill in 13 disjointed text boxes, that require answers to questions, but has to be mindful of structuring the answers in such a way that does not lead to rubbish when the 'create report' button is pressed.

    It is sheer lunacy in my view and would take some explaining as being a rational, intelligent and effective use of a skilled practitioners valuable time. And as I think most would agree, the end result requires considerable 'editing' in order to get it to read in anything like a cogent form. But it's also quite likely to end up being negative because of the way the questions are framed and finally will have difficulty containing any 'soul'.

    Don't lose sight of the fact that the whole purpose of a court report is to try and influence a sentencer or sentencers. It is a subtle art rather than a pseudo-science. The process requires a three-dimensional picture of the person and their environment, not the two-dimensional one that OASys steers us towards.

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. A probation officer4 June 2011 at 19:07

    Jim,

    Oasys might lead to a 2 dimensional picture but a professional 'probation officer' producing a report for court will/should add third dimension required to provide a comprehensive assessment and therefore coherent conclusion and proposal for sentence.

    I do think at times that you come across as resistant to OASys. From conversations with longer serving officers it is clear that OASys represents a loss of autonomy in some respects and they feel it is restrictive to their practice - It forces people to be accountable in their assessments and provide evidence for their conclusions and resulting plan to assist someone to reduce offending. This pains them because the recall the days when this wasn't so!!

    Personally it pains me to hear about generational differences between probation officers since this is not beneficial for anyone. I came into probation via the newer route although hold 'social work' values and my motivation for the job is to make a difference - it certainly isn't about me! My practice is richer thanks to officers of your calibre and the training was easier thanks to the good old common sense approach of my trustee mentors! I am a respected practitioner by old and new - trying against the odds to add value to the lives of those Im privileged to supervise. Hopefully OASys will at some point be modified to work for me and assist me with the job in hand which is to 'make a difference', help someone to aspire to a life without offending and ultimately to protect my community ( who in effect pays for my services).

    ReplyDelete
  11. In YOT we had no difficulty producing quality reports from a blank page after having completed the YOIS assessment. E-OASys is almost certainly here to stay as a risk assessment tool but the pull through reports are a failed experiment that should be consigned to history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. jim

    "Why the hell does a probation officer writing a report for court need to fill in 13 disjointed text boxes, that require answers to questions, but has to be mindful of structuring the answers in such a way that does not lead to rubbish when the 'create report' button is pressed."

    I was in the job before E-Oasys generated reports. When oasys reports came along I moaned about it like us all, then adapted. Still haven't heard a killer argument...

    "My practice is richer thanks to officers of your calibre and the training was easier thanks to the good old common sense approach of my trustee mentors!"

    Agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well thanks everyone. The subject has got a bit more of an airing and as Jonathan Ledger said, opinion is divided!

    I'm not sure anyone has given me a killer argument as to why 'writing' a report through OASys is a good idea though - you've just outlined that some people are clearly better at 'adapting' than others.

    I have to say though I really do find it surprising that so many people appear happy to be spending so much of their working life filling this thing in.

    The Service will eventually 'drown' in a sea of completed OASys data. I know from experience that the computer system is having a great problem in storing the stuff and there have had to be 'selective deletions'.

    Anyway, as always, thanks for reading and commenting.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete