Thursday 14 April 2011

The Leaving

As anyone in the public sector knows full well, the end of March, beginning of April can be a strange, even surreal period. For years colleagues in HM Inland Revenue have traditionally enjoyed a New Year party as the old tax year draws to a close and ushers in a bright new one. In other parts of the public sector, probation included, in stark contrast to the exhortations all year to save money, there is typically an urgent phone call or e-mail from Head Office asking if we need any desks or filing cabinets? In fact anything, as long as it can be spent now and avoid the tragedy of losing unspent money left in capital budgets. In days gone it meant speedy visits to Argos or Dixons for a new pool table for the day centre or video equipment for groupwork. Nowadays it's more likely to be for a new fridge to keep the packed lunch in.

But it's also a period when time-served colleagues decide it's time to pack it in or cave in to the thought that just maybe this might be the last year Early Retirement is on offer. I always find it sad when the inevitable notice comes round announcing the imminent departure of yet another colleague who seems to have been part of the fabric forever and whose wise counsel you know you are going to miss. Ever since I set out on this journey over 25 years ago, I have marvelled at the wit, wisdom and skill of many colleagues and in particular how they crafted the English language on a daily basis in order to convey ideas, passion and reason. It really is a skill that is sadly disappearing as anyone reading what passes for a PSR today will testify to.

Over the years it has been a bit of a probation tradition not to go quietly however, and one or two of us have hung on to particularly noteworthy 'final thoughts' as the author leaves the building. The following came into my possession several years ago via a colleague in another area, but is so good in my view that I feel it's worth disseminating a little further. As well-loved colleagues depart into well-earned retirement, I find myself dwelling on the sentiments so ably expressed and that are possibly even more valid today. Needless to say, I share them entirely. Should the person recognise their handiwork, I hope they forgive the impertinence, but my motive is one of simple admiration. 

"For most of the.....................I have been employed by.......................,I have enjoyed the pleasure and the privilege of working with predominantly dedicated, robustly compassionate and often highly creative colleagues. There are many aspects of what used to be the best job in the world which I will miss. However, there are other aspects which I will be glad to leave behind as the role and the organisation become increasingly procedural, defensive and, above all, tedious. 

I will not, for example, miss OASys, the cumbersome, time-consuming hindrance to coherent assessment as opposed to the aid which it purports to be.  I will not miss case management, an initiative so ill-defined and fragmented that most would not even recognise those whose risks we are supposedly managing if we fell over them in the street. I will not miss accredited programmes and the evermore ludicrous pretence that they are universally, rather than occasionally, effective. I will not miss sterile, open-plan offices in which we rarely look up from our computer monitors to talk to each other and in which we often seem to prefer the virtual reality of data input to client contact.  I will not miss the happy-clappy, hierarchical culture which pretends that all is well when clearly it is not and which sometimes patronises, sometimes vilifies, always disqualifies the ideas of all but those who have taken the corporate management shilling. I will not miss the madness and immorality of an organisation which promotes a disproportionate number of its staff to middle management positions only to supplement their already increased salaries with the proceeds of freelance 'flat-rate' PSR's, which mysteriously they have no time to prepare during the day-job but which, unsurprisingly, there are no longer sufficient main grade officers to complete. Least of all will I miss the bullying hypocrisy of certain managers who routinely label disagreement as resistance to change when their own idea of adventure and adaptability often amounts to no more than sitting at a different table for lunch in the head office canteen.

One facet of the Service which I will most definitely miss is the challenge of writing persuasive court reports within specific constraints and to tight deadlines. I will also miss the many gifted storytellers whose practice of this narrative art is about to be further undermined by the roll-out of a 'painting by numbers', short-form PSR. I will miss the collective spirit, generosity and gallows humour of a range of colleagues with whom, at various times over the years I have shared team meetings, awaydays, groupwork (including residentials), family therapy sessions, court welfare disputes, practice teaching and even, for a short time, Divisional Management Meetings. I will miss the many students, trainees and other fellow-learners in whose development I have had the good fortune to be involved, albeit that some of them will not necessarily miss me. I will miss, in particular, the unfailing kindness and quiet efficiency of clerical and administrative staff, whose insufficiently recognised contribution to the work of the Service is reflected in their scandalously low pay. Last, but by no means least, I will miss the clients who despite their many imperfections and sometimes horrific acts remain, lest we forget, the means by which we all pay our mortgages and put food on the table, as well as a reminder that "...there but for fortune go you and I."    

5 comments:

  1. Jim,

    Thanks for quoting from what is a wonderfully pointed swansong for departing colleague.. captures perfectly many of the sentiments that you bring to your blog.. reminded me of the leaving speech that the much respected Mark Harris( ACPO-London) who sadly was killed in a tragic accident before he could take up a post with the Parole Board... he was ' pushed out ' for speaking his mind & standing up for his colleagues.. & referred in his leaving speech to being ' eithne -cleansed' .. ( recall the Probation Supremo EW who was much into ' transformational human relations & Birt speak)..

    Regards
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must mean Mrs Birt!

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, your comments on PSRs are spot on.

    I was criticised today for spending an hour with a client, interviewing for his PSR. Ok it did not come under dangerousness, it was not top of the 'seriousness scale' but this guy had a lot of issues, and more importantly, had the desire to talk about them, reflect on aspects of his life he wanted to change, and valued the time I spent with him.

    To me, the report is the first step in a long process. Whizzing someone in and out in half an hour and throwing together a report that you could pull someone in off the street to write is worthless. Spending time exploring someone's decisions, motivation and the best route to take with them is the only purpose of a PSR, and to me, invaluable!

    I am also told not to spend so much time with my offenders, I should be more 'lean' and shunt them off to various groups/projects/agencies. I am also told 'we are not a welfare agency'. I appreciate this and am fully aware that we are not intended to be, but there is no point skimming over the surface of more deep seated problems that are usually the key to addressing many of the other issues, and ultimately the offending behaviour itself. Yes I manage risk, but rather than control and restrict, surely the more productive route longer term is to address the issues themselves, so when the restrictions are eventually lifted, you have also made some progress towards building internal controls.

    I am so frustrated. I have been in the service only a few years, and I am already feeling disillusioned and fighting a losing battle. I wonder what else I could do with my life to continue the work I want to do, with people, rather than computers!! Any ideas!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is extremely depressing to hear indeed. In my view who ever offered the criticism needs reminding very firmly that it is your professional judgement that is important. Only you were present at the interview and it is completely at your discretion how long you decide to spend interviewing - or indeed how many times if you feel it is justified. I have often arranged another session if there are lots of issues or there are welfare concerns. You don't say if you are a PSO or if it was an FDR situation. In any event you are the expert on the case - not the manager - try and have confidence in your judgement and assessment and if necessary look to colleagues or union reps for support.

    Stick with it and good luck.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim, I am a PO, qualified under the DipPS. In my area PSOs are not expected to write reports, whether standard or fast, so we write them all but the majority now are written as FDR. The idea behind this appears to be so we can churn them out without any real thought or reason... I have also been told before that they only need one line in each box. Now i'm sorry, but I trained to make thorough assessments, and analyse information, not just repeat the odd fragment of information. And I came into this role to work with people, and treat them as just that, human beings with complex thoughts, feelings and needs. If we continue down this route we will lose our skill, lose any value in the eyes of the court and make it oh so easy for the private sector to swoop in, or potentially to disappear altogether.

    More depressing still Jim, this criticism did not come from a manager, but from a colleague...

    ReplyDelete