Tuesday 15 February 2011

Why the Silence?

Regular readers will have noticed a break in transmission for over a week and without prior warning. This has been due to a combination of factors. As is sometimes bound to happen, real life gets in the way, my store of prepared posts had been used up and there didn't seem to be anything I had a burning desire to say. I was also struck by a readers very complimentary remark that I should not feel compelled to post daily. Whoever it was, I thank them warmly for the observation, particularly as I was staggered to see from a recent wordcount that I've bashed out 93,000 since last August. 

Of course there is always a danger that I might not have anything further to say. All the pent up frustration and irritation seems to have been mostly dispelled and calmer resignation is possibly the best way to describe my current state of thinking. I somehow doubt this is the end though as I find writing to be so therapeutic and enjoyable. I think I'm cured of the self-imposed and illogical urge to post daily and intend to take a little longer to reflect a bit, recharge the batteries and generally review where I think I'm 'at' as they say. So again, I thank readers for their kind words of support and I fully intend to be back shortly.   

  

6 comments:

  1. Completely understandable and I and no doubt countless others look forward to your future musings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim I'm not going to lie to you I so looked forward to checking in of an evening that the gap has been quite painful, so no pressure, keep the musings coming reflect quickly and keep your audience sated with what I think is an extremely well thought out and (on the whole) balanced account of probation circa 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was I to whom you referred as giving you the compliment in the last post. It was no flattery but an observation. Having spent 30 years in a different occupation to yours, (yes, I gave you your clients,) I am fascinated by the similarities between us. We went to work to make a difference in our respective fields. We tried and were thwarted by those who 'improved' our services from the safety of distance, were experts without ever getting their hands dirty and were condescending without benefit of experience. No service can be perfect, but I do despair of the depths to which the constant reorganisation and introduction of the latest 'perfect' system has caused many public organisations to plumb. The front line service is paramount, the statisticians and analysts a long way second.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woke very early this morning and listened (by chance!) to Ramblings on Radio 4: two retired ex-colleagues of yours who seemed to be using walks in their countryside to get rid of the demons of work.

    May be they'll invite you along for a battery recharge - you seem very like-minded in your attitude to current probation policy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ASouthernJP - thanks for that - I listened to it on i-player. Sadly there are hundreds of similar very experienced PO's who have thrown in the towel over the last few years because of disillusionment. Such a waste of skill and talent thrown away needlessly when they could still be doing what they used to enjoy. The programme is particularly interesting because of course Lancaster Prison will finally close next month.

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete