Friday 12 November 2010

Justice Affairs Committee 6

The Committee duly took evidence from the Victim Commissioner Louise Casey on Tuesday 9th November and I'm pleased to say that some of the questioning made her look decidedly uncomfortable and possibly not really on top of her brief even. She got quite tetchy when asked if she had any evidence for her comments last week about Crown Courts being clogged up with unnecessary trials at the expense of victims and merely said it was 'common sense'. Along the way she confided that she was neither a lawyer nor brain of Britain, both statements that are only too obvious in my view. Despite having been billed as being asked if she'd changed her mind about community sentences since taking up her new role, I was disappointed to see that the Committee chickened out, but I had to listen right to the end of the video to discover this. I really wouldn't recommend it as enlightening viewing, unless you are a Casey fan of course. For me it merely served to reinforce my previous impression that here we have someone who has  possibly been promoted a little too far.      

No comments:

Post a Comment